While the Royal Family was on tour in South Africa, the South African Railways and Harbour Administration presented a gift to Princess Elizabeth after she opened the then new East London Graving dock on 3 March 1947.
The present was "five large diamonds from Government mines on the Orange River, flawless stones exquisitely cut" (two half-moon and three emerald-cut diamonds), valued at £3700 for mounting in a bar brooch. See the picture above for the brooch and the casket on display.
At first in the newspapers was reported to build a bracelet or bangle with the diamonds.
Four Red Sea pearls of pink lustre in a pair of natural pearl oyster shells mounted in gold.
Given by Sir Reginald Champion,24 June 1947,Governor of Aden on behalf of the Colony and Protectorate of Aden.
Source: Cranberra Times; The Mercury; The Sydney Morning Herald;